2 Powerful Free Tools to Speed Up Your WordPress Site
If you want the short answer, The answer is installing Cloudflare CDN and installing Jetpack to your WordPress. If you appreciate the fast answer, do pin this post to your most relevant Pinterest board e.g. Pinterest guide. Thank you!
At the bottom, you can see my website’s grade was a C for speed, but several days later, it went up to an A.
Loading Time 18.5 Seconds Grade C
Loading Time 6.9 Seconds Grade A
though the first two steps were easy to implement, I also changed the design of my website. Where I removed a lot of unnecessary items to the page, to improve performance.
Was it worth it?
Due to me improving the sites speed, it improved my rankings on Google, which is definitely a worth while pursuit.
Where To Start & Is It Free?
You’ll be surprised to here this, but YES its free!! So lets start..
first you need to create an account with Cloudflare. Cloudflare, offers a global CDN and an SSL certificate for free! They are the leading provider of CDNs, so using them will drastically improve a website’s speed.
Also, here is a few other things Cloudflare offers..
- Unmetered Mitigation of DDoS
- I’m Under Attack™ mode
- Access to Cloudflare Apps
- Access to account Audit Logs
- Web application firewall (WAF) with CloudFlare rulesets
- On the higher end plans, you can upload your own custom shared SSL
- 24/7 support only available on the top tier plan
Cloudflare’s wizard set-up takes care of everything, step by step. So there’s no need to change your sites existing code or make any changes.
However, if this step fails, no need to worry I still got your back!
Manually Setting Up Cloudflare
Don’t let the word manually initimidate you, as its still quite easy.
- Enter the domain of your website
- Wait until Cloudflare scans your DNS records
- Once completed, choose the right plan for your website (there is a free option if you look)
- Copy the Nameserver records cloudflare has provided to you and replace your current domains records with cloudflares.
- Wait at least 24hrs for the nameservers to be implemented.
When all is done, Cloudflare will email you if their CDN is running on your website.
If you are having troubles, contact the company you registered your domain with, to help you. Otherwise, you can always leave a comment below for me to help you out :).
Jetpack optimizes your wordpress page. However, we are mainly using them for the free image CDN they give users. This CDN just stores your images, allowing them to load faster.
If you can’t find it on the featured tab, you search for Jetpack on the top right of the page, in a section called “Keyword”
Once installed, simply go through the steps jetpack will prompt to you. And, when done they will automatically add all of your images to their CDN.
If you enjoyed this post, do share it around to help others and us too 🙂